EICSP/MESP Volunteering/Internship Policy
EICSP/MESP runs a public events programme for wide public benefit.
Volunteers are essential to EICSP/MESP and make a vital contribution to the above public events programme.
The main areas where volunteers are currently active are:
- help with set up at events
- help with registrations at events
- help with the running of events
- help in liaising with facilitators, venue staff and with the general public
- help with refreshments at some events
- help with ensuring health and safety requirements are met at events
- help with ensuring the EICSP/MESP Equal Opportunities Policy is implemented
- help with giving out and collecting feedback forms
- help with tidying up after events
EICSP/MESP celebrates the value of volunteering and seeks to involve volunteers in what it does in order to:
- Provide its participants with a diverse range of positive mentors and role models from throughout society.
- Contribute a variety of skills, experience and perspectives to our programmes.
- Help increase knowledge and understanding about our programmes.
- Create opportunities for volunteers to learn about managing diverse events.
2. EICSP/MESP’s Commitment to Volunteering
- Recognises that voluntary work brings benefits to volunteers themselves.
- Recognises that volunteers require satisfying work and personal development and will seek to help volunteers meet these needs, as well as providing the information for them to do their work effectively.
- Will endeavour to identify the events which are of particular interest to volunteers.
- Will review this policy on an annual basis to ensure that it remains relevant to the organisation and takes account of new legislation.
3. Recruitment and Selection
Recruitment of volunteers will be from all sections of the community, and will be in line with EICSP/MESP’s Equal Opportunities Policy. We endeavour to promote our volunteering opportunities to a diverse audience, and, in particular, to encourage former participants to take on the challenge of volunteering where this is appropriate.
EICSP/MESP’s Volunteers will be provided with all necessary information required for volunteering. This will give volunteers an introduction to the necessary skills required for working as a volunteer, to key health and safety considerations, to our Equal Opportunities Policy, and to the types of activities that will take place.
5. The Volunteer’s Voice
Volunteers are encouraged to express their views about matters concerning EICSP/MESP volunteering activity and EICSP/MESP events. To this end, volunteers will be asked for written feedback.
6. Volunteer Benefits
EICSP/MESP volunteers attend for free the events at which they volunteer, after selecting events that are of interest to them, and volunteers are invited to the annual MESP Hosted Meal as our guest.
All volunteers are covered by the EICSP/MESP’s insurance policy whilst they are on the premises or engaged in any work on the organisation’s behalf. Policies held include public and employer’s liability. EICSP/MESP does not provide motor insurance for volunteers using their own vehicles. Volunteers are responsible for their own belongings.
8. Health and Safety
Volunteers engaged in volunteering at events of the EICSP/MESP will be responsible for upholding the relevant Health and Safety requirements of the venue and appropriate to the event.
9. Equal Opportunities
EICSP/MESP is committed to equal opportunities for staff, volunteers and participants in all aspects of its recruitment, support, training and events. Volunteers are expected to be open minded, sensitive and respectful of people, values and experiences and should expect to be treated in the same manner. EICSP/MESP has a separate Equal Opportunities Policy. Copies of the full policy will be available to volunteers, and volunteers are responsible for upholding this policy while they are volunteering on behalf of the EICSP/MESP.
10. Moving On
Volunteers will have the right to request a reference on the basis of their voluntary work and will be supported to move on to other options.